Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Walking the line

I Walk the Line


I have walked the line between living for one child or dying for another. There's never a good, right or perfect answer. I just have to live with knowing that I have walked the line and probably always will.

 


Natachia Barlow Ramsey Postpartum Depression Postpartum Psychosis Suicide
My daughter and I on her 9th birthday in 2002
When I was sick with PostPartum Psychosis in 1999, and I wanted to commit suicide, my son's (Hunter's) father didn't believe that Hunter was his; I thought in those terribly dysfunctional moments that the only one who wanted Hunter was me. That in order for him to be 'safe' I had to take him with me.
I know, I know; it doesn't make any sense now. How could I possibly be keeping him "Safe" by wanting to take his life and mine? I cannot rationalize my thinking that day. I can only say in those moments, in those minutes, on that day it made sense to me.

Asking someone who is losing their mind to explain why they were thinking a particular way and expecting it to make sense is like... well, asking a schizophrenic person who doesn't know they're schizophrenic if the voices they hear are real. They can't distinguish the difference.

I have yearned to find someone who had gone through a similar experience. Not because I wanted them to feel this kind of anguish, but because it feels so very lonely when..
Read more here...
 
~ Natachia Barlow Ramsey's Story; Surviving Postpartum Psychosis ~ I walk the line ~

3 comments:

  1. natachia, three years confined, plus several more in the system- even though you were found not criminally responsible and were not a threat to anyone. that to me sounds criminal. your courage in writing about your experiences is, really, just stunning. your honesty and eloquence are appreciated. quite simply, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddie, I so appreciate the words of encouragement. It really does mean a lot to me when someone reads my blog and it touches them. Thank you so for the kind words.Natachia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natchia, I too was 'locked up' in various mental hospitals over a period of 6 months which is NOTHING compared to what you have been through. I agree that the staff tries to play tricks on you, and unfortunately I never got any real help. Just drugs and fear. I also have nightmares of being locked up again. The only reason I have been able to heal the bit I have is because I am in society. Locking people up for mental illness helps no one. Thank you for sharing your story so openly!

    ReplyDelete